PLEASE READ ALL THE BELOW INFORMATION BEFORE MESSAGING A SMET THEATRICS CREATIVE TEAM MEMBER WITH QUESTIONS!
TEAM MEMBER WITH QUESTIONS!
*12/3 UPDATE: we have 4 in-person audition slots left before we reach our cap. Virtual auditions are still available, email email@example.com for information. If you are unable to make auditions, please cancel your slot to allow others to sign up for it.*
*11/12 UPDATE: we have added an additional 4-person group and expanded each group by 2 spots, reaching the maximum people we can see for auditions -- if you are unable to make live auditions contact firstname.lastname@example.org for possible alternate audition options*
WHAT: auditions for Smet Theatrics LLC’s production of Into the Woods
WHERE: the Culture House Stage & Studio in Oak Park Mall (drive around the mall until you are between Dillards and Nordstrom; look for the ramp to the upper parking lot)
WHEN: Friday, December 17th
- Auditions are by appointment only and will take place in groups of 8 for 45-minute blocks. You will need to be present for the entire 45-minute block.
- Please arrive at least 15 minutes early to fill out an audition and conflict sheet.
- Upon entrance to the mall, meet Smet Theatrics LLC’s Managing Director Alyce Wilson in the Culture House foyer to fill out an audition/conflict sheet and to meet the rest of your audition group.
- Offers will go out within 12 hours of the auditions’ end. You must fill out the attached DocuSign no later than 11:59 PM on Saturday, December 18th, to accept your role.
- There is a required Zoom call for all who are cast from 1-2:30 PM on Sunday, December 19th.
WHAT TO BRING
- Current headshot
- Current resume
- Memorized 32-bar cut of Sondheim music (please provide your own sheet music)
- The roles of the Witch and Cinderella have already been cast. ALL OTHER ROLES ARE OPEN!
- The roles of the Baker, the Baker’s Wife, Jack, and Little Red Ridinghood will be offered small stipends -- all other roles are volunteer only.
Your 32-bar Sondheim song CAN and is ENCOURAGED to be FROM Into the Woods. However, please do not sing a cut from a Witch or Cinderella song, as the roles have already been cast.
WHAT THE AUDITION INCLUDES
- 32-bar cuts
- Cold reads from the script
- Brief improv/teamwork exercise
Smet Theatrics will be presenting Into the Woods with a modern high-concept focusing on the storytelling elements of the show. We highly encourage you take a modern approach to your audition both in acting and vocal choices. Rather than aiming for familiar fairy-tale caricatures, approach the material seriously. How does the material/perspective of each character change if they are modern person living in today’s world? A character breakdown is attached to the SignUp Genius for your reference, as well as a rough outline of the rehearsal schedule.
Please wear a mask upon entering the Oak Park Mall and for the duration of your audition.
We highly encourage anyone auditioning to do so in person. However, if you are unavailable on December 17th, please contact email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com as soon as possible. Video auditions would need to be worked out and submitted BEFORE December 17th.
- Chelsea Smet, Director of Into the Woods and Co-Artistic Director of Smet Theatrics LLC
- Jenell Johnson, Music Director of Into the Woods
- Heather Tinker, Professor of Theatre at MidAmerica Nazarene University